August 9, 2007
The Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs has been organizing the ‘Know India Programme’
(KIP) to associate the younger generation of the Indian Diaspora closely with India. Six such programmes have, so far, been organized. The KIP provides a unique forum for students and young professionals of Indian origin to share their views, expectations and experiences and to bond closely with contemporary India. The earlier six programmes have been greatly appreciated by the participants.
2. The 7th programme in this series will be held from 29th August to 15th September 2007 in partnership with the State of Goa, the CII and with the logistical support of Nehru Yuvak Kendra Sangathan.
3. The proposed KIP will involve a total of three weeks stay in India for 40 participants consisting of the Indian Diaspora professionals and students in the age group of 20-28 years.
For first three days, the programme will be held in Delhi, after which the participants will fly to Goa. In Delhi, there will be initial briefings and meetings in the Ministry, to be followed by calls on high level dignitaries with a view to gaining knowledge about Indian history, economy, heritage, etc. The participants are expected to arrive in New Delhi on 29th August 2007.
4. A variety of programmes are being arranged in the State of Goa, including calls on various dignitaries of the State Government, stay in a city, meetings with local dignitaries, visits to IT parks, universities, hospitals, etc. The participants will also participate in projects on environment, primary education, rural health, etc. The exact programme is being finalized, the details of which will be available shortly.
5. The participants are advised not to make any personal / private programs of travel during the course of the KIP. Cost of internal travel, boarding, lodging and hospitality will be borne by the Ministry / State Government from 28th August onwards till 15th September 2007.
6. The participants will return to Delhi for 2-3 days for debriefing, discussions and feedbacks on their experience. The participants can book their return flight either on the night of 14th or 15th of September 2007.
7. Broad guidelines for the KIP are given below:
(i) The participant should have distinguished himself/herself in a particular field, should have abiding interest in India and links with India through parentage.
(ii) The participants should be in the age group of 20-28 years.
(iii) The participants could be both boys and girls. While sending their nominations, the participants should mention their bio-data and personal details including passport details and contact particulars. Nominations should also include two passport size photographs. Given that this is a focus area for the Ministry, preference will be given to those participants, who are genuinely interested in the programme and have not been to India before.
(iv) The participants will have to pay for their international travel costs from their respective countries to Delhi and back. An amount equivalent to one-way fare by economy/excursion class will be reimbursed to them by the Embassy / Consulate. The reimbursement can be made on production of receipt. The Ministry/State Government will bear expenditure on internal travel, boarding, lodging, etc. A per diem allowance of Rs.100/- per day will also be paid to the participants as out-of –pocket allowance.
(v) Not more than 3 nominations will be accepted from one country.
(vi) The selected participants should contact the Embassy/Consulate for briefing on diverse aspects of India, the State of Goa, and the objectives of the programme, before departing for India.
(vii) Since nominations are likely to be received from several countries and slots for the programme are limited, it may not be possible to accommodate all the nominations.
(viii) Participants may contact Director(DS-I)/Under Secretary(DS-I), Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs, Government of India directly at e-mails firstname.lastname@example.org
, for any information required. Nominations may be forwarded to Minister (Community Affairs), Embassy of India, 2107 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington DC 20008
with subject “Know India Programme”.
(ix) Last date for submission of nominations in the Embassy of India Washington D.C. is 14th August, 2007.